This February, The Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada generously awarded Family and Children’s Services of Guelph and Wellington County funding to expand our ability to support former youth in care during the COVID-19 crisis.
Given this, Family & Children’s Services of Guelph and Wellington County has launched a COVID-19 Response Program Support Fund for Former Youth in Care. This fund is meant to provide financial assistance to former youth in care who are struggling financially due to the COVID-19 crisis.
Family and Children’s Services of Guelph and Wellington County will accept requests for funding until 4:30 pm on Friday, March 26th, 2021.
If you experiencing financial challenges because of the COVID-19 crisis and are looking for support, or know someone who is, please first check the eligibility requirements listed below. If you meet the program’s eligibility requirements, please follow the application procedures, listed below.
To be considered eligible for support, youth must meet the following criteria:
- Are aged 18-29 (inclusive);
- Transitioned out of permanent care (or a youth agreement) when they reached the age of majority in their province;
- Are experiencing financial strain as a result of the COVID-19 crisis;
- Were formerly in the care of our Agency OR were formerly in the care of another agency in Canada but currently reside in Guelph or Wellington County. *Youth formerly in the care of our Agency that meet the other criteria listed above are eligible whether or not they currently reside in Guelph or Wellington County. They do, however, need to reside in Canada*
Funds can support emergency needs as outlined below:
- Housing costs
- Mental or physical health needs
- Food and other essentials (hygiene supplies, diapers, formula etc.)
- Technology support for e-learning
- Other emergency needs as determined in consultation with a worker through the application process
- If you currently have a worker assigned to you at our Agency: Please reach out to your worker and indicate that you wish to request support from the COVID-19 Youth Emergency Fund.
- If you currently do not have a worker assigned to you at our Agency, and/or have never been affiliated with our Agency: Please reach out to us at 519-824-2410 or toll free at 1-800-265-8300 and indicate that you wish to request support from the COVID-19 Youth Emergency Fund.
Submitting an application does not guarantee funding, as all funding applications are subject to funding availability.
If you have any questions, or require any additional information, please reach out to Jenna Afshar, Fund Development and Communications Manager, at 519-824-2410 ext. 3299, or toll free at 1-800-265-8300 ext. 3299. Or, you can reach out by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thank you to the Children’s Aid Foundation of Canada for their generous support toward this program.