Do you have a concern or complaint? Talk to us.
We can solve almost any problem by talking. Talking things through usually leads to greater understanding and builds a stronger relationship. We are proud of the good relationships we have with families and we want to know if you are having a problem with our services. We want to keep improving how we work with you.
If you have a concern, ask to meet with the staff member involved and clearly explain your concern or complaint. F&CS staff will usually understand the source of the problem and will try to work with you to resolve it. You can ask to meet with the staff member’s supervisor if you don’t feel your concerns are being heard. It is okay to have a friend with you when you talk with us. If you are more comfortable in a language other than English, you can have someone there to interpret. The worker can also explain the complaint process and give you a copy of our brochure.
If you continue to have concerns or a complaint ask to speak with the staff member’s Director of Service. If you are not sure who to speak with, we will help you find the right person. Call us at 519-824-2410, extension 4112 or 1-800-265-8300, extension 4112.
We will do our best to resolve your concern in this informal way. To learn more click here to view a copy of our feedback brochure.
You can make a formal complaint
You can make a formal complaint if talking to the staff member, supervisor, or Director of Service is not resolving your concern or complaint. The Ministry of Children and Youth Services created this review process to be fair and objective and help you address your concerns.
You have two ways to make a formal complaint:
1) Put your complaint in writing to the Executive Director
Putting your complaint in writing will trigger the Internal Complaint Review Panel. The panel includes staff who have not been involved directly with you and a member of the Board of Directors.
You can download the complaint form here or put your complaint in writing and mail it to the Executive Director at 275 Eramosa Rd, Box 1088, Guelph N1H 6N3. Or you can drop it off or fax it to us at 519-763-9628.
This feedback brochure will explain the process and timelines in more detail.
2) Write to the Provincial Child and Family Services Review Board (CFSRB)
• At any time during the complaint process you can contact the Child and Family Services Review Board, which is an independent board separate from us.
You can get the forms you need from the CFSRB website or you can call them at 1-888-728-8823, or email email@example.com. Write down your concerns by completing the forms and sending them to the Child and Family Services Review Board at 2 Bloor Street West, 24th Floor, Toronto M4W 3V5 or faxing them to 1-416-327-0558.
• Once you submit your application the CFSRB will send us a copy and they will write back to you within seven days to tell you if they can review your complaint or explain why they cannot. If they can review your complaint, within 20 days they will send you a letter with their decision to set up a hearing.
You do not need to go through the Internal Complaint Process before going to the CFSRB.
Note that the complaints systems cannot be used for:
- Matters currently before the courts or that the courts have already decided
- Matters that fall under other decision-making processes under the Child and Family Services Act or the Labour Relations Act.
Summary of resources/links: