If a grown-up has done something to hurt you, or scare you, you can call us and talk. You can also call us if you don’t feel safe in your house. When grown-ups hurt children it’s wrong, and sometimes it is abuse.
If you have been hit, or if a grown-up touched you in a way that made you uncomfortable, we can help you. Or if you have a friend that you think is hurt or scared, you can call us and we will help. Even if the person who hurt you told you not to tell, you should call us. We will protect you. It is wrong for someone to tell you not to talk to someone if you are scared.
Even if the person hurting you says it’s a game or that you’ll get in trouble if you say anything, you should tell anyway. You haven’t done anything wrong. You won’t get in trouble for talking to a professional. If you are worried about yourself or a friend, please talk to someone you trust. You can talk to a teacher or your principal, or you can call us.
A grown-up that you trust can help you. He or she can help you speak with someone at the Children’s Aid Society to talk about your problems and ways to keep you safe.
You are important to us. You can call us anytimeâday or night, to talk about your problems, or to ask for help. We are here to keep you safe.
You can call us anytime at 1-800-265-8300 or you can also call the Kid’s Help Phone at 1-800-668-6868.
Types of Abuse
There are different types of abuse, such as physical, emotional, sexual and neglect.
- Hitting with a hand or an object like a belt,Â especially hitting that leaves bruises or cuts
- When someone hurts you in other ways, without touching
- Constant yelling
- Making threats
- Calling you names
- When someone touches your private parts in a sexual way
- If someone makes you touch him or her. Your body is private and you can ask someone to stop
- If someone takes pictures of your private parts
- You don’t have enough food, or a place to live
- No adult is taking care of you
- You don’t have clean clothes, or enough warm clothes
- You don’t have a warm bed to sleep in
- You never go to see a doctor or dentist